Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Follow the Leader

I believe that a whole lot of people as well as me hate to follow. Kind of the problem with a leadership course or club, you have a bunch of people all striving to be leaders and very few people want to be followers.
Maybe that is why I have lost so much respect in my class. I want to be the leader so I never shut the fuck up hoping I am right. This is not very useful when I do not know what I am talking about. Sure sometimes I do know what I am talking about. Maybe I have done a lot of research on the subject. But nobody knows everything. So when I start rambling on about bull crap it does a pretty good job of angering the class.
I do not believe that I am the only one in the class that does this but I do seem to have gone over the limit. If you haven’t figured this out this makes me a terrible follower. It doesn’t really help to support my leader or the teacher as it disturbs the class. Maybe I try to help the boss by answering a question but what is the point if I don’t know the answer. I’m also not too good at receiving feedback or at understanding my role.
On the other hand I do meet some of the requirements of a good follower. I’ll take initiative to a question. Even if my answer is wrong it creates uproar of answers from the rest of the class. Obviously I always keep the boss informed. But of course I always say thanks to the boss as long as what he or she does something to better the whole class.
So how does some one like me learn form my failures. Well for starters I can start by only talking when there is something that I am well knowledgeable in, things like Business and some European History. In this case it helps support the teacher and any students that disagree may have research that says other wise or may not have any knowledge in the subject and are throwing in an opinion that is not creditable, in which case they are the ignorant follower for once. As well I can sit down write the feedback I get and then read it ten times before I enter class.
These are of course only a couple of ideas that can be implemented to make me a better follower. I will need a lot of work before I can become both a good follower and a good leader but that is why have started this adventure of life, so that I can learn. And of course if I do not learn the wolves will eat me. So it all works out in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment